1. How to be a good organizer in 4 simple steps: a) Spend some time thinking about trees b) Imagine what clear cutting looks like, sounds like, and feels like c) Recognize that 80 percent of the world's forests are gone d) Be a good organizer
2. How to find like-minded comrades in 4 simple steps: a) Go to the beach b) Smell the salty air and listen to the waves c) Acknowledge that 90 percent of the large fish in the ocean are gone d) Find like-minded comrades
"I don't personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed."
- Maya Angelou
3. How to plan an action in 4 simple steps: a) 200,000 acres of rain forest are destroyed each day. Picture a planet devoid of rain forests. Picture a human body without lungs b) A woman is raped every 46 seconds in America. Visualize the terror and trauma of these experiences c) 29,158 children under the age of five die from preventable causes each day. Imagine the feelings of grief, sorrow, and loss d) Plan an action
4. How to make mainstream allies in 4 simple steps: a) Find a busy place b) Stand still and watch the humans scurrying around you c) Contemplate $2.74 trillion in U.S. consumer debt. Reflect upon U.S. women earning 77 cents for every dollar a man is paid. Ponder 2,660 U.S. children born into poverty every single day d) Make mainstream allies
"The most heroic word in all languages is revolution."
- Eugene V. Debs
5. How to give a rousing speech in 4 simple steps: a) Find a quiet place b) Close your eyes and breathe deeply c) Think about animals in slaughterhouses. Think about humans in prisons. Think about civilians in a war zone. Think about someone you love slowly dying of cancer caused by corporate-created toxins d) Give a rousing speech
6. How to bring down the dominant culture in 4 simple steps: a) Ask yourself if you're content with your relatively high quality of life being possible thanks to the poor quality of life of others elsewhere b) Ask yourself if you're content with your relative freedom being possible thanks to the oppression of others elsewhere c) Accept that we are all accomplices to the perpetual global crime called "civilization" d) Bring down the dominant culture
Mickey Z. is the author of 11 books, most recently the novel Darker Shade of Green. Until the laws are changed or the power runs out, he can be found on an obscure website called Facebook.